Major Winter Storm on Monday Jan. 10th?

Go down

Post  Bowtie on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:38 am

According to the latest GFS model run, the snowfall amounts have increased for a portion of the KSPR viewing area. Below is a look at what the GFS is currently forecasting for this storm system:
[img][/img]

Last edited by Bowtie on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:29 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Re-Upgraded the thread title)
Bowtie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Monday, January 10th Snow?

Post  Bowtie on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:52 am

By the way. I will be posting updates (as warranted) about this potentially significant winter storm in my blog over at Goggle's Blogger.
Here is the link: http://01102011winterstorm.blogspot.com/2011/01/update-as-of-friday-jan-7-2011-7-am.html

Last edited by Bowtie on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Downgraded the title)
Bowtie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Monday, January 10th Snow?

Post  Bowtie on Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 am

Here are the updated model runs as of Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 2AM:
First the GFS:

[img][/img]
Now the NAM:
[img][/img]
You may have noticed by now that I have downgraded this thread's title. That's because, for now, I no longer expect Monday's storm to be a major winter storm. However, I still do expect an accumulating snow. It looks at this time that the area that has the best chance at receiving more than 4 inches of snow is in Kansas and perhaps communities in the western portions of Vernon and Barton Counties in Missouri. As has been said, the exact track of this storm system is still uncertain and any change in the track could increase or decrease the accumulation totals. I currently think that a part of the Ozarks could see localized amounts up to 6 inches wherever the heavier bands of snow occur. But we still have a long way to go before I can make anything official. I still think Monday's storm will still track somewhere between Joplin Missouri and Fort Smith Arkansas. Please keep checking the KSPR Weather Blog throughout the weekend for more updates. I too will be posting my updated opinions here throughout the weekend. Very Happy
Bowtie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bowtie on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:08 pm

This update as of Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 6:15 PM.

First off, the National Weather Service in Springfield has issues a Winter Storm Watch for the following counties in their county forecast area: In Missouri - Benton, Hickory, St. Clair and Vernon. According to the NWS in Springfield, areas NORTH of Interstate 44 could possibly receive accumulations approach if not exceed 6 inches and SOUTH of I-44 accumulations should remain under 6 inches. However, that's as of right now. As I mentioned late last night, we still have a long way to go before we know just who will or will not receive significant accumulations of snow during the Sunday night, Monday, Monday night and Tuesday time frame. I do expect that the accumulation totals will be adjusted as we get closer to the start of this winter storm. And I also expect that the Winter Storm Watch will also be expanded to include more areas north and along the I-44 corridor. My forecasted track of this storm still has not changed. Here is a map of who, as of right now, is included in the Winter Storm Watch:

[img][/img]
Next, lets take an updated look at the accumulations according to the computer models.
First, the GFS:

[img][/img]
And now the NAM:
[img][/img]
I need to add one more very important thing about this storm. Along with the light to moderate snowfall will be strong gusty north to northwest winds which will cause serious blowing and drifting of the dry, powdery fallen snow which in turn will make driving very difficult. If you absolutely must travel during this storm, PLEASE take extreme caution as many roadways will likely quickly become snow covered and snow packed. If at all possible, stay home and watch KSPR 33 and enjoy watching the snow fall.

So, will there be school on Monday? Stay tuned to KSPR for the latest updated information.

One last thing for this update. Take time to thank God that this isn't going to be a major ice storm. Yuk!
Very Happy
Bowtie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Major Winter Storm on Monday Jan. 10th?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down